Originally posted on John O'Farrell:
This series of posts starts off with a short quiz for the startup CEO:
Q: Who’s responsible for developing your product?
A: That’s easy—Engineering!
Q: Who in your company is responsible for selling your product?
A: That’s easy, too—Sales!
Q: Who in your company has primary responsibility for:
- Mapping and networking your ecosystem?
- Building long-term relationships and driving deals with strategic partners?
- Identifying, evaluating and executing acquisitions?
- Developing and executing your strategy to go global?
- Working with you to tackle major strategic opportunities, including existential crises?
A: In many startups, the answer to this one is, “That’s no one’s job yet.” What’s your answer?
Seizing the transformational opportunity
Given the all-consuming nature of a startup, it’s natural to be focused on your own company first, then on customers and competitors. What’s often under-appreciated is the importance of expanding that focus to cover the other…
View original 1,728 more words